BEOF offers energy assistance programs through funding by the state and federal governments, currently helping more than 2,000 Hudson County families lower their energy bills.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low-income homeowners and tenants pay for heating costs, including bills for electricity, natural gas, oil, and fuel delivery. LIHEAP grants are also available for medically necessary cooling costs. Even tenants whose rent includes utilities may qualify for help. The LIHEAP program is seasonal and operates between October 1 and April 30.
The Universal Service Fund (USF), created by the N.J. Board of Public Utilities, helps low-income households pay for electric and natural gas costs. This program operates year-round.
In addition, households that do not meet the income guidelines for the above programs may qualify for other assistance through the TRUE/PAGE and NJ SHARES programs.
Residents of Hudson County, both homeowners and tenants, who meet income requirements may apply for LIHEAP assistance.
To apply for USF, Hudson County residents must:
• Meet income requirements AND
• Spend more than 3% of household income on gas and/or electricity OR
• Spend more than 6% of household income on electricity
To assist with timely processing, please provide the following documentation when filing an application:
• Copies of Social Security cards for ALL household members
• Copy of oil bill or gas & electric (PSEG) bill (must be under applicant’s name)
• Copy of rent receipt, TRA letter, Section 8 letter, or proof of ownership
• Proof of income for ALL household members age 18 or older
The following forms, available at BEOF offices, must also be completed and submitted:
• Medical form (for cooling applicants), signed and stamped by applicant’s doctor
• Tenant Verification Form, completed by landlord/superintendent
How to Apply
Visit our office at 555 Kennedy Boulevard (between 21st and 22nd Streets) in Bayonne, N.J. Friendly staff members are available to help you complete the applications. You can also call 201-437-7222 for more information.
Our offices open at 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday, and close at 4:00 p.m. every day except Friday, when we close at 3:30 p.m.